Summary of John 14…
At the Passover meal, Jesus told the disciples… He is going away and they can not follow, one of them will betray Him, and Peter will deny Him 3xs. The disciples are troubled, confused, and afraid. All of a sudden, their expectations, dreams, ideas, and thoughts about Jesus, their future, and their family and people’s future seem bleak and dark. Before He leaves, Jesus tells His disciples, these promises to comfort them…
- He is going to the Father.
- He is coming back for them.
- He has prepared a place for them with Him & the Father.
- He is the Way, Truth, and Life, no one comes to the Father except by Him.
- He will send an advocate/ helper/comforter, the Holy Spirit to teach them, so greater works will they do.
- He is allowing the Prince of the World to come, but he will not overcome them.
- He will give them peace, not as the world gives.
- He loves the Father and is doing His will.
The word “believe” is an action verb, therefore we must demonstrate we believe through our actions …
- If you believe in the Father, believe also in Me, so that I and the Father will be in you.
- If you ask anything in My name, Iwill give it to you.
- If you keep my commandments, you love Me.
When we are troubled, confused, afraid, God’s promises in His Word are for all who “believe and receive Jesus Christ”. The Holy Spirit, that inwells all believers, will teach and remind us of God’s promises. If we do what He asks, then, we will experience the peace of God and be overcomers through Christ. “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33