All Christians should be disciples of Christ, but not all are! In fact a very few are disciples of Christ. “The laborers are few but the harvest is plentiful … pray for laborers.”
What is true…a disciple of Christ must be a Christian. One who believes & receives Jesus Christ as Savior (the one who saves) us from the penalty of sin-eternal death, power of sin-victory, & presence of sin – sinless. The Bible says that by faith in Christ’s works (His death- the sacrifice, His resurrection-the King, & His coming again-the Judge) we are saved or made right with God. This person has the right to be called a child of God and has inherited all kinds of Spiritual blessings … forgiveness of sins, adopted as sons of God, redeemed by the blood of the Lamb, sealed with the Holy Spirit, knowledge & wisdom, abundant life, a mansion in heaven, etc..
A disciple of Christ is a student or follower of Christ. This person will abide (walk, live, remain) in God’s Spirit & His Word through Christ. The fruits or results of abiding in Christ (the Spirit & Word) are, we will…
- Love God with all heart, soul, & mind.
- Deny self, carry cross, & follow Jesus.
- Love others as Christ has loved us.
- Bear fruit of the Spirit…love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, , kindness, goodness, self contol.
- Be good stewards of all God has given.
- Be ministers of reconciliation.
- Be a soldier in the army of God.
- Preach the gospel (good news).
- Love, pray, & bless enemies.
- Heal the sick.
- Filled (controlled) by the Spirit.
- Cast out demons.
- Be a citizen in God’s kingdom.
- Use all God’s Spiritual gifts to do good works & encourage the brethren.
- Keep God’s commandments.
- Hate sin.
- Be a laborer for the harvest.
- Walk in the Light not in darkness.
- Fellowship with other Christians as the body of Christ.
- Pray about everything without ceasing.
- Do the will of the Father.
- Be teachable.
- Rejoice in all things.
- God & make disciples.
- Be one as Christ is one with the Father.
- Serve as Christ as served us.
- Be hated because Christ was hated first.
- Be Holy (set apart for God) as He is Holy.
- Suffer for Christ’s sake.
- Not sin, but when we do sin (those that say they do not sin are liars & the truth is not in them), we have an Advocate with the Father, Christ Jesus His Son, so that when we confess (admit & turn 7×77) our sins, God is faithful to forgive our sins & cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
These are some reasons why the “Church” is not making disciples of Christ…
- Ignorant of God’s Word.
- Refuse to make Jesus Lord.
- Not filled (controlled) by the Spirit of God.
- Teachers, prophets, shepherds fearful to speak or teach the Word.
- Fleshly indulgences, worldly influences, & Satanic deception choke out the Word.
- Hate God’s Word.
- Christians not willing to be obedient to God & His Word.
- Some pastors, ministers are hirelings not shepherds.
- Many Christians are idol worshippers but do not know it.
- Christians are fearful of rejection, suffering, & persecution.
The only way to combat these failures to disciple & be a disciple is to put on the full armor of God… another way of saying abide in God’s Spirit & Word moment by moment.
The SOW (Student Of the Word) Bible & Prayer Devotional for All Ages disciples (teaches & trains) Christians to be disciples of Christ who abide in God’s Spirit & God’s Word.
- 19 “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28:19-20 (NKJV)